William Shakespeare; actor, author, and well-known Lothario. He is a beloved fixture in the hearts and minds of romantics everywhere. So, without further ado, we have 10 Shakespearean pick-up lines for single history nerds. Everything a nerdy heart and mind might need to score some points with the person of your dreams.
Essentials: Everyone knows these pieces! Whether you read them as part of an English class or encountered them in popular culture, familiarity can still sound smart and sweet when used correctly.
1. “Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight!
For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.”
Romeo and Juliet
2. “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.”
3. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind”
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Classics: Maybe you’ve read a little further in the canon than what was assigned in school? Maybe you are true romantic? No matter what, these classics will enhance your nerd chops and spark the interest of just about any fair maiden or swashbuckling lad.
4. “Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move, Doubt truth to be a liar, But never doubt I love.”
5. “… Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,”
6. “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
As You Like It
7. “Journeys end in lovers meeting,
Every wise man’s son doth know.”
Deep Cuts: Let’s be honest, you have to go deep when trying to impress a mate. The following lines are bound to pique the interest of the intelligent and erudite.
8. “I do love nothing in the world so well as you: is not that strange?”
Much Ado About Nothing
9. “More flowers I noted, yet I none could see
But sweet or colour it had stol’n from thee.”
10. “I think good thoughts whilst other write good words . . .
Hearing you praised, I say ‘Tis so, ’tis true,’”
Go get ’em tiger. Rawr!